This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#54434 January 30th, 2006 at 06:04 AM
I think I might put the rosemary back outside then. That pot is empty. How about the parsley and I think I got dill. What else do you guys use in cooking? How 'bout oregano? Does it do well inside?

TK, with your green thumb it's hard to believe that you can't grow herbs.

#54435 January 30th, 2006 at 08:40 AM
You could try oregano inside..it kind of vines so in a hanging basket where it will get plenty of light would be good for it. I wouldn't grow dill indoors it gets too tall.

#54436 January 30th, 2006 at 08:51 AM
OP Offline
Hi.. wavey
Just wanted to let you know that I transplanted my herbs and changed to a dryer soil and they're doing awesome!!

My basil, cilanto and oregano are doing great. The thyme is still slow moving but appears very healthy, guess I'll just have to be patient.

Bestofour..I've grown Dill indoors, it's one of the easiest to do! By time it gets too big, you'll be well into summer to bring it outdoors. I just started some today.

I'll post a pic of my herbs soon. It's just a matter of me getting off the couch to take a pic and I'm really comfy right now. wink

#54437 January 30th, 2006 at 09:07 AM
OP Offline
Okay...I got off the couch..Here's the pic.

[Linked Image]

The thyme is the last one on the right..like I said, it's healthy just slow moving.

#54438 January 30th, 2006 at 10:36 AM
Will you eventually move all those outside?

#54439 January 30th, 2006 at 11:14 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Christina,
I can really see a change in them, and it's only
been a few days hasn't it????
I'm glad....
***When summmer comes and if you garden outside,
get some Lemon Thyme...you will just love it,
it's a great picker~upper!!!***
And try all of those different scented mints....
They have such nifty~neat scents now and are great for the "aroma theropy... especially lemon and sweet smelling one's...
See if Jamie can help you in letting you know which one's he likes....
There's pineapple and chocolate and regular mint one's..

#54440 January 30th, 2006 at 09:02 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I love chocolate mint but last year the nursery wanted 5.00 for a little starter plant and I just was not going to pay that. I don't have a problem with all herbs just some. Rosemary being the worst lol. Parsley is pretty easy and I love the look of it when it comes up. I just haven't planted any since I lost my last bunch to spider-mites. Right now I have par-cel sprouting instead of the parsley but I'll plant more after that gets going well. Cilantro I'm going to direct sow outside in two week increments because it really doesn't need to be started early and it does well with little or no care. And it sounds like that's what I should do for the rosemary too. It might be better off if I leave it alone rather than loving it to death.

#54441 January 30th, 2006 at 10:30 PM
OP Offline
Bestofour, I will probably bring the herbs outside late spring but I will always be starting fresh basil and cilantro. I use it very often. Thyme and oregano are both perennials so I'm hoping they'll take off in the garden so I'll have a fresh supply every summer and they both dry well for winter use.

Weezie, I've grown chocolate mint and apple mint and yes they have a beautiful scent but I was stumped when trying to make them useful in cooking so this year, I'm just going to stick with common mint, again another perennial so I should have a good supply every summer.

Tammy, I'm not familiar with par-cel?? I'm assuming it's much like parsely? I'm not growing parsely this year, just doesn't have the robust flavour I'm looking for..yes it adds nice colour when cooking...maybe I should try the italian parsley (flat-leaf) rather than curly...I did hear it has more flavour.

#54442 January 30th, 2006 at 10:52 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Weezie, I've grown chocolate mint and apple mint and yes they have a beautiful scent but I was stumped when trying to make them useful in cooking so this year, I'm just going to stick with common mint, again another perennial so I should have a good supply every summer.
Borage is fun in salads...They are bright blue..(the flower)
and supposedly taste like cucumber.. I'm not sure, they're light, but a very faint cucumber..
you can also brighten ice cubes with them...

And the mints can be used in teas...

And I am a big flower picker, so I basically enjoy the smell in a bouquet...
*especially when I'm picking them*

Keep the lemon thyme by your front door when you walk in.... rub your hand over it and it's instant LEMON!! grinnnn cool

#54443 January 31st, 2006 at 07:32 AM
OP Offline
My mom has lemon thyme in her garden and she never does anything with it...what a shame. She also has 4 big beautiful bushes of lavender. Everytime I go to her house, I rub my hands all over it...I just love it!!! I'm thinking I'll get a couple cuttings from her this year...or maybe just dig up an entire plant! wink Think she'll notice?

#54444 January 31st, 2006 at 07:35 AM
Weezie, I like that idea about lemon thyme. I'm going to try and find some to put by my door.

TK, I think I'll wait and put the rosemary outside too.

#54445 January 31st, 2006 at 08:57 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
If you go and look up the aroma theropy
scents, lemon is supposed to be for Happy, Invigorated Feelings..
Citrus is the highest for good thoughts or something like that..

Why do you think it's the main scents in dishwashing soaps and how orange is a fast riser..

The lavendar is for soothing..

But if you keep that Lemon Thyme by the door..
you'll be smelling it everytime you touch it..

The kind I have is Gold Variegated Lemon Thyme,
and it's green and bright yellow.. Just happy looking..

There is also a Lemon Thyme Silver Queen,
which has pink hues in it.. *I've never had it, but it looks lovely*

Also, there is some kind of ground cover Thyme,
that's very low growing and can be put in the cracks of a stone walk way, and when you walk on it, it's supposed to release it's scent...

#54446 February 9th, 2006 at 11:28 AM
Originally posted by weezie13:
If you go and look up the aroma theropy
scents, lemon is supposed to be for Happy, Invigorated Feelings..
Citrus is the highest for good thoughts or something like that..

Why do you think it's the main scents in dishwashing soaps and how orange is a fast riser..
So that's why they put the scent in the dishsoap ...Happy Thoughts about dishwashing????? frown no way, never Happy thoughts when it comes to dish washing no matter what the scent is! laugh laugh

#54447 February 9th, 2006 at 10:31 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Par-cel is a hybrid mix of parsley and celery. It looks like parsley but tastes like celery. I can't wait to try it. And it has come up with no problem very much like parsley. I am so ready to start my spring planting outside. You can tell I'm itching to get outside can't you lol. Oh well, soon.

#54448 February 9th, 2006 at 10:49 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well we are talking about our beautiful baby herbs I need to mention my cinnamon basil. I'm so proud of it. I had to move the plants around so that I could make space for the basil. It has gotten so big that even after trimming it is still two feet tall with the planter included. So now it has a place in the 4 foot high window. This way I can let it grow more and get larger leaves before I have to prune. I just wanted to share that because I'm so proud of it.

#54449 February 10th, 2006 at 01:38 PM
That is great your plants are doing so well Tammy!

#54450 March 2nd, 2006 at 01:39 PM
Christina...How are your herbs doing????

#54451 March 2nd, 2006 at 10:14 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well the last of the green onions went outside today. I know it's not a herb but I use it the same way I use the chives. They are going outside next. And then the garlic. All three handle cold weather reasonable well.

#54452 March 8th, 2006 at 11:55 AM
hi guys! today i got antsy about spring and decided to clean up some of my potted herbs. i brought my mint indoors, took it out of the pot, pulled lots of roots out so it wouldn't be so crapmed, repotted it and added a bit more dirt. should be sprouting soon indoors huh? i cleaned up my parsley (it's a biennial right? and this is the second year so it should grow correct?) and brought it indoors to get a head start on growing. my chives are amazing! i brought them in a week or so ago and they are about 8 inches tall! i divided the clump today and gonna give some to a friend tomorrow. from seed i planted cilantro, dill, and basil. i can't wait to see it all start growing! i am so ready for winter to leave!

#54453 March 8th, 2006 at 09:21 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I gotta find me a heater, you guys are k!llin'
me here, you're all starting your seeds, and
I have got at least a whole month to start mine... eek eek eek eek

#54454 March 9th, 2006 at 03:13 AM
Weezie I know the feeling...I have been having it since Tammy first started all of her stuff and then many others to follow. But now I started a few...not going gung ho..as it is a bit early here also. But keeping the feelings at bay. laugh laugh laugh

#54455 March 9th, 2006 at 06:37 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Oh trusttttttt me I do...
I know what it can be like to have leggie plants..
And I swear that's more of a pain in the butt..
to do all of that work, early and to only have the plants not do well..
So, I do keep them at bay, justttt dreamin' of
being able to get in that green house...
I have been eyeballin' a heater, but... Santa didn't bring it to me...waaaaaaaaa

Besides, most of my compost is still frozen, and when I start seeds, I have to mix up wheelbarrows full of compost and seed starting mixes, I don't even think my wheelbarrow is out of the snow yet..
:rolleyes: wink laugh

#54456 March 9th, 2006 at 10:30 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well although I get to start early I pay for it with a summer when I can hardly step outside because it's so hot. So I guess there are trade offs everywhere.

#54457 March 9th, 2006 at 10:35 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Yes, that's true Tammy....
and I just look at it as an opportunity now
to do some more reading up on stuff that I so
love to do...
(I do the same thing when it's so humid here at like noon, stay indoors and read some) thumbup grinnnn cool

#54458 March 10th, 2006 at 12:06 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well you know what I do. Wonder the site looking for people to talk to lol. I used to read alot but I don't see well enough to do it for very long any more. Now I read pretty much for a specific purpose but other than that I leave it alone. I'm lucky that the monitor doesn't give me the same problem that the printed page does. I don't know what I'd do if that happened.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard