This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2005
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Joined: May 2005
Well, you can now with these Tasco 12X25 binoculars from Walmart in the Sporting Goods section for $17.87. I bought these yesterday and this morning have been looking at Chickadees the size of Great Horned Owls. They hang in a blister pack on the shelves. They will probably tear up in a year or two but at this price you can sure get your money's worth. They are call Tasco 12X25 mm., Essentials Model# 178BCRD. Great for the beginner (or as an extra pair for an old geezer like me).

TASCO 12X25mm Essentials 178BCRD
[Linked Image]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good Deal Thorny! thumbup

I just remembered that I bought Mark a pair a few years ago for Xmas....they're down in his hunting stuff.....I think I'm sneaking down there soon to try and find them. grinnnn

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shoot, I just remembered after I bought Mark those binocs, I bought him a digital camera pair.....I'm gonna go hunt for them! thumbup grinnnn

Joined: Mar 2006
P
Member
Member
P
Joined: Mar 2006
the digital camera binocs are alright but you have to be very careful when taking pics.
just holding them freehand i have found winds up with blurry pics from shaking hands.
at magnification the effect is worse.
maybe use a tripod or monopod to lessen the effect.

Joined: May 2005
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Joined: May 2005
The Diginocs are a GREAT idea but the majority of those on the market right now take TERRIBLE pictures (I know. I bought the very first model when they came out a few years ago.) The problem is that most have a separate lense for the camera that will ONLY focus on objects 50 feet or more away, and then the megapixels on the camera part are so low that you basically get a silhouette instead of an identifiable photograph. The exception is Bushnell. They have come up with diginocs that focus through the binocular lenses themselves. They have a popup LCD view screen and use memory cards. The drawback...... they need more light. Yhey are 8X25. An 8X40 or 8X50 would be better...... the Megapixels are vastly improved over the first diginocs, about 2.5 megapixels, but they could stand to be at least 4-5 megapixels or more for REALLY good pictures..... Price. Right now these nocs are about $500.00.

Joined: Mar 2006
P
Member
Member
P
Joined: Mar 2006
not what i was saying at all
the magnification excerberates your natural handshaking.
must hold the binocs very still to avoid blurry pics.
just as with sharpshooting a rifle,you need a rest to avoid blurry pictures,as with a rifle to hit your target.
even with my film camera with my 300dx lense,
a tripod is neccesary to still the camera when the lens is activated,otherwise a blurry shot is the result,particulary at long range with much magnification.shutter speed is a factor but still the camera must not move when the picture is taken.im sure some digicams have high speed
shutter rates but i dont think the pedestrian models are up to that just yet. the ones i used took the pictures thru the binoc lense (in fact ,i havent seen any that didnt).
even so,with my film camera,at long magnification, camera shake is a major factor in coming up with quality pictures.
when i want long shots ,i use a tripod.

Joined: May 2005
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Joined: May 2005
My digicam is a simple point-and-shoot and is not powerful enough for a tripod (I do have a tripod and use it for some picture taking. However I am currently planning on and working towards a high-end SLR camera with a good Zoom lense with image stabilizer and a BETTER tripod.

Joined: Mar 2006
P
Member
Member
P
Joined: Mar 2006
check the ads out this weekend
ive been watching and waiting also
i have a fairly old pentax super program camera with a variety of lenses and when i make the hop to digital,i was hoping to be able to use those lenses. ive seen prices dropping quite a bit on slr digitals($699) with 2 lenses. no pentax's though.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.053s Queries: 29 (0.050s) Memory: 0.7795 MB (Peak: 0.7991 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-09-30 21:30:33 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS