This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62135 May 15th, 2006 at 03:27 AM
Joined: May 2006
Q
Member
Member
Q
Joined: May 2006
I have two of the white "Moth" orchids-the Phalienopsis...or whatever it's called.One had flowers last fall and hasn't gotten any more .I re-potted it in the bark/orchid medium and I see roots on the top spreading out but no flower growth.I have been careful not to overwater (10 days or so).My new one just lost all it's flowers -what do I do now.Am I suppose to be feeding these every time I water.Does anyone have any suggestions.Some people say these are carefree but I am having a nervouse break-down with them.I really do love them tho.

#62136 May 18th, 2006 at 11:11 AM
Member
Member
Joined: Oct 2005
I was told they for a while, then quit for a rest. Then bloom again?///Not constantly.

dodge

#62137 May 18th, 2006 at 02:21 PM
Joined: Jul 2003
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2003
It can take a long time for an orchid to bloom. I used to have one and it took a year to bloom. They are pickey plants and I know they do go dorment. Yours might be trying to adjust to their home or they may be entering a dorment stage. Keep them moist, but don't overwater and make sure they have good filtered light. Don't use tap water either. Use filtered water.

#62138 May 18th, 2006 at 04:20 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Joined: Mar 2004
Quote
Keep them moist, but don't overwater
I read this in a post here a long time ago...
...to keep a wooden skewer in my orchids, and take it out every few days and hold it to my lips so I could feel how wet it was. When the skewer is dry, then water the orchid. If the skewer has any moisture on it, put it back in and check it the next day.

I do this...and it must be good advice because my orchids always do well.

#62139 May 18th, 2006 at 04:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that sounds like an excellent way to keep tabs on moisture content! *goes off to put a bamboo skewer in her orchid*

#62140 May 19th, 2006 at 12:15 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
T
Member
Member
T
Joined: Oct 2003
Keep the medium moist and wait another year. Medium light level, no direct sun. They need a slight cool night period to induce flower buds. 10-15 degree day/night difference. Feed every other watering with half strength miracle grow or orchid food.

Tom

#62141 May 19th, 2006 at 12:37 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Joined: Mar 2005
I am so tempted. So very very tempted. But I'm even more chicken lol.

#62142 May 24th, 2006 at 02:16 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Member
Member
Joined: Jan 2006
WOW! what a great idea...I am putting it on my shopping list...I LOVE this forum....so MANY GREAT ideas...

#62143 June 2nd, 2006 at 02:31 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
E
Member
Member
E
Joined: Jun 2006
I bought an orchid off the discount rack because it lost all its flowers. It has a new leaf but no progress in the flowering department, about how long will it be before I see signs of flowers?


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.051s Queries: 31 (0.047s) Memory: 0.7861 MB (Peak: 0.8057 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-07 08:47:04 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS