This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#63552 June 28th, 2006 at 02:53 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Member
Member
Joined: Jun 2006
My Zucchini have flowers on it. I'm not sure if I did pollination thing right or not, but we will see. Can some one go here and let me know if these flowers opened yet or not. I'm at work all day for 9 hours and am not sure for how long they open up for. I think I missed them opening already flw

Joined: Aug 2005
J
Member
Member
J
Joined: Aug 2005
I don't think so Chrissy. Most of those look like they are yet to open. Some look like they have though. What I usually do is clip off the entire male flower and peel back the petals exposing the stamen. Then I just swab it on the female flower's stigma. You can do multiple female flowers with one male flower. Sounds kinky, but it works... laugh

You can really pick your beans at any stage, but if you let them get too big they won't be as tender. Also, if you harvest them every day or so, they will continue to produce. What variety are they? They look great!

Joined: Apr 2006
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2006
Nice pics Chrissy!

Quote
he has been trying them out every few days to see when they are ripe
That's what my mom calls a "quality check"! I love the taste of a just-picked green bean! Yummy!

Joined: Jun 2006
Member
Member
Joined: Jun 2006
went out today to do just what you said, and guess what, there were bees in my flowers. Not sure why they where stuck in the closed flowers, but it was a surprise!! HOPEFULLY they'll have done the job that they were there for...lol.
Thanks John!

*Goes bean picking*

Joined: Aug 2005
J
Member
Member
J
Joined: Aug 2005
Bees stuck in the flowers?! shk Wow, never heard that one before. They musta stopped to take a nap.

Hopefully no cuke beetles. Those little buggers love to hang out in my squash flowers. mad

Joined: Jan 2005
S
Member
Member
S
Joined: Jan 2005
Ciao Chrissy,

What Carol Deppe, the bigtime plant breeder advocates if you want to do your own squash pollination for seed-saving practices or if you want to purposely cross your squash into something different, is to masking tape them closed the night before they're about to open (you'll need to do a bit of plant micro-management to figure this out) and then in the morning, first thing, untape them and do as John says, take the petals off the male flower and use it as a pollen applicator. It should have yellow fluffy-looking pollen clinging to the anther. Brush the pollen from the male anther onto the female stigma. Then tape the female flower closed again. She says bees will sometimes bite into taped flowers so check for holes in the taped flowers and don't use the fruit for seed-saving if you see holes. Be sure to tag the female flower for future reference so you'll know which fruit to save for seed.

I got Carol Deppe's book "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties" for my birthday. John, you should get this book if you don't already have it.

Cheers,
Julianna

Joined: Aug 2005
J
Member
Member
J
Joined: Aug 2005
Quote
Originally posted by Sorellina:
John, you should get this book if you don't already have it.
No I don't. Sounds interesting. thumbup

How extensive is the tomato information?


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.059s Queries: 27 (0.055s) Memory: 0.7840 MB (Peak: 0.8037 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-09 18:58:55 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS