This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#64146 March 17th, 2006 at 09:04 AM
Joined: Mar 2006
Junior Member
Junior Member
Joined: Mar 2006
I am going to get a Meyer Lemon tree but I am confused sca on the best soil mixture (I hear that soil is key) and type and size of pot I should use. Please give me some ideas that worked for you. Thanks for any help.

#64147 March 17th, 2006 at 12:29 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2006
I have a Meyer lemon in a 24 inch pot and it does beautifully well. Loads of lemons.
I was told by a master gardener to use ONLY cactus mix potting soil as it drains fast. Lemon trees don't like wet feet.
A Meyer can spend its entire life in a 24 inch pot.
He must be right because my tree is the talk and envy of the neighbors !
I do feed mine a bit more often than is recommended for trees planted in the ground.
I wish you the same happiness and success I have with my Meyer lemon tree !

#64148 March 17th, 2006 at 12:31 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2006
Oops, you asked about types of pots. Mine is a 24 inch plastic pot that looks like terracotta.
The thick, heavy plastic is best.

#64149 March 17th, 2006 at 05:16 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
E
Eco
Member
Member
E
Joined: Aug 2005
I suggest a mix using coconut husk chips (CHCs). They were intentionaly for orchids, but experiments conducted by some citrus proffesionals has proved it's great for them to!

CHCs drain super fast. Yes, although they don't like wet feet, they like their water. CHCs absorb up to 7 times their weight in water. Just waited all winter for spring to repot and make the swith for mine, they are loving it!!!

(I have a mix of mostly CHCs, sand, and normal potting mix, in decreasing quantities).

For the pot, it all depends on the size plant you get....as for made out of what, I have a meyer in the black plastic pot from the nursery and my calamondin in a terra cotta pot. Both are great. I water the Cal more often cause of the terra cotta pot though, and of course it's heavier, something to keep in mind if you will be moving it in and out alot if it's a bigger plant then mine (2' tall, 1' wide).

: )


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.052s Queries: 21 (0.049s) Memory: 0.7647 MB (Peak: 0.7844 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-01 21:53:44 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS