This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#67708 May 18th, 2006 at 11:53 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I have a bunch of hot peppers growing (indoors started from seed). What spacing seems to work best for hot peppers when final planting in the garden? Most seed packs seem to state 18 inches between plants. Ive read that 1 foot between plants works too. I am planting in raised rows at 3 feet apart. I am growing Cayennes, Jalepenos M, Jalepenos Early, Habeneros, Thai Poinsettas, Thai Dragons, Santa Fe's, Serrranos, Anahiems, and have a few Cherry Bombs, tabasco, and one Carribean red. What seems to work best?

#67709 May 18th, 2006 at 03:37 PM
If you have 3 feet between the rows, then you could space them a little closer together. It's really going to depend on the quality of the soil they're in. Why not plant a row at 12" then one at 15" then one at 18" and decide for yourself?

#67710 May 19th, 2006 at 11:45 AM
I usually plant most of mine one foot apart and sometimes they end up alittle crowded, but for the smaller ones it works just fine, I do this with Jalapenos & Cayenne...the Carribean red will also do fine at a foot between the plants. The others you mention I have no idea as I haven't grown them.

#67711 May 19th, 2006 at 12:11 PM
deepcreeklake

I put mine about a foot apart.. that wont kill them.. Aren't peppers fun to grow? I dont eat many , but grow them to give away mostly. I put them in stewed tomatoes to can.
Freeze some for pickle relish. The red ones make for a pretty relish .. Green and red.. Delicious.

Or we stuff them with pigs in a blanket. Stuffing peppers.
You sure do a lot.. What do you do with all of yours?

dodge wavey

#67712 May 20th, 2006 at 02:12 AM
R
R
One foot is good, I had read some years ago that peppers enjoy thier leaves to touch and yes I have seen the effect it does work.
ranger

#67713 May 20th, 2006 at 03:18 AM
ranger

Thanks,
keeping in touch. Ha ha That could be so. Some plants enjoy a crowd, in the roots, I know.
They are fun to watch.. peppers.

This time I have planted rainbow peppers.. Have any experience with that? Some one online sent me those. We will see later.

dodge
grinnnn

#67714 May 20th, 2006 at 03:25 AM
R
R
We grow lots of peppers every year and make pepper jelly, goes great with cream cheese.
ranger

#67715 May 20th, 2006 at 06:00 AM
ranger,

I make raspberry, strawberry , peach ,or anything i get my hands on .

Do you just cook them down and add sugar/
Or would you share the recipe?

Who knows maybe I would like it/

I have lots of peppers frozen and might try..

dodge

#67716 May 20th, 2006 at 11:41 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I read that peppers, can benefit from shading each other, to prevent sun scalding of the fruits, but 18 inches seems to be the norm guide listed on seed packs/labels etc. I am going to dry most of mine in the dehydrator, and grind into powders. Will also make Chili Oil for stir frys, and try chili vingear. May can some of the pickiling types for salsas etc.

#67717 May 20th, 2006 at 12:00 PM
DeepCreek,

Your doing well. Never seen any dried and ground. What do you use to grind it with.

Chili vinegar sounds good.. And salsa.

DOdge

#67718 May 20th, 2006 at 12:19 PM
I put my hot peppers in everything! I'm a little nutz when it comes to hot and spicy. People sweat just watching me eat. laugh I don't dry mine..they lose too much heat that way. I eat as many fresh as I can, I use them in my salsa and I freeze the others whole and plop in a handful when cooking, soups, stews, curries, stir frys, etc, etc, etc.

#67719 May 20th, 2006 at 12:31 PM
christinac,

There must be differ strokes for different folks. I cannot eat a hot pepper.. My mouth burns so bad , i run for water. Even my fingers burn from touching them>>
Can you tell me why yours dont?
Am I sensitive?

dodge shk

#67720 May 20th, 2006 at 12:39 PM
Dodge..I think most people would agree with you. My boyfriend has no idea how I can eat the foods I do...my family doesn't like any heat in their foods either. I can't explain it myself because my mouth does burn!! But for some reason I love it! It has something to do with endorphines. When your body feels pain, your brain automatically sends pleasure endorphines throughout your body...something like that..I read that somewhere...I'm probably wrong.

#67721 May 20th, 2006 at 01:01 PM
Christinac,

I have had friends kids walk thru my garden and eat the peppers right off he plant. I guess it is born in you.
Now another odd thing , i am not ticklish. Everyone else seems to be. It took me a long while when I was a child, to figure out why they laugh when the ribs are touched.. i didnt know there was such a thing?///

shocked )

dodge

#67722 May 20th, 2006 at 01:05 PM
I wonder sometimes about food preferences being a gene thing.
I read that people who are repulsed by cilantro, as I am, it's in the genes whether you like cilantro or not.
I believe the same applies to coffee drinkers-I have never had a cup of coffee in my life, or tea either.
Have the same revulsion toward fish, seafood, meat, and alcohol.
It's like I didn't get an adult palate or something. That reminds me, gotta make a peanut butter sandwich, and where's my chocolate milk....
YUM ! shocked

#67723 May 20th, 2006 at 01:34 PM
Deborah L,

Make me hungry will ya.....I am thinkin of having some ice cream.. Oh ice cream is so good in our area......
Never seen a home here without it.
Not sure about drinks. I drink coffee black, most of my friends and family drink tea. Wonder if folks who eat alike, marry the like eaters?
Cant prove a thing in my house .

Dodge

#67724 May 20th, 2006 at 02:16 PM
laugh

#67725 May 20th, 2006 at 11:16 PM
D
OP Offline
D
The reason why some people can or cant eat them is the differnce in taste buds. People are either "super tasters" meaning that they have very high senses in the taste buds, those are the one who really feel the heat of peppers. 50% of the population are this. The other 50 are non super tasters, who still feel the heat of peppers, but not as bad. It also believed the more pepper you eat the less sensitive you get to it. In fact hot peppers are believed to be addictive like a drug. Check out a couple good books written by Dave Dewitt. One is called the whole Chili pepper book, the other The Chili pepper encyclopedia. The later is an updated version of the first- but both books are great. It has many recipes, including medicinal uses for hot peppers!

#67726 May 21st, 2006 at 01:05 AM
DCL,

I am going to check that book out.
I firmly believe I am a super taster.. Even my hands taste it! ha ha ha
No way I can get addictive.. You know I love the smell of them cooking.. I use stuffing peppers in my stew tomatoes. And stir frys.. Love them cooked.
dodge lala

#67727 May 21st, 2006 at 01:30 AM
Hmm..I'm not sure about the super taster thing. There's a chemical in hot peppers called capsaicin..this what makes peppers "hot". Everyone's body reacts the same to it, in fact, it can literally burn the skin just like an open flame can..no matter how much heat you can stand, it will have the same affect on everyone. Just some people enjoy it. Here's why, this is a quote I found on the internet:

"And for those of you who don’t understand the appeal? It’s all about endorphin rush, like a runner’s high. pepper-heads like me have developed a conditioned reflex whereby the burning sensation stimulates the release of opiate-like chemicals from the brainstem, inducing a euphoria not unlike a heroin buzz. Yes, this theory has been clinically verified."

So, it's like I mentioned earlier...it's the pleasure followed by the pain...because, believe you me...peppers burn me when I eat them too. But I can't stop eating them because for some reason, they "hurt so good." Does that make sense?

#67728 May 21st, 2006 at 01:55 AM
That is true but some are more sensitive to capsaicin than others are .. They did a test during Hot Sauce week on the food network.. Some were a lot more sensitive than others were.. And even had the pure capsaicin extract.. It does release the endorphin rush you are talking about!

#67729 May 21st, 2006 at 02:15 AM
spring f

Thanks ,
I learnt a bundle on peppers on here.. I know they are excellent food.

But i like mine cooked..the neighbor wants me to take some hotties yearly, i say naw..

Guess in the winter it may heat one???/

dodge..aka barb lala

#67730 May 21st, 2006 at 02:35 AM
Might Dodge.. peppers are a heart healthy food they improve circulation..

#67731 May 21st, 2006 at 02:47 AM
SF eek

Does that mean I might get around more if I at peppers?

ha hah

dodge lala

#67732 May 21st, 2006 at 02:49 AM
ate

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard