This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8091 February 21st, 2005 at 02:24 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2005
jerky.
the house smells so good as the aroma drifts from the dehydrator..
yummy.

#8092 February 21st, 2005 at 03:31 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
Adirondack~Um you don't happen to have
a recipe for that great smell in your house???

And do you use a dehydrator or the regular oven??

And how do you get your meat slices sliced???

I have always wanted to make my own,
but never did.....

Weezie

#8093 February 22nd, 2005 at 01:36 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Member
Member
Joined: Jan 2005
wavey Hi! Jerky freak here!!! laugh

Heres how I do mine...I bought a cheap 20 dollar dehydrator from Walmart. It has 3 trays....Love it!

I usually get brisket...stick it in the freezer so its about 1/2 frozen. Then with a really sharp knife, slice it 1/8". It will thaw quick. Toss it in a bowl with some soy sauce. Then lay the slices on the dehydrator tray and shake on some black pepper. It usually takes about 5 hours.

My recipe is pretty basic...but its SO YUMMY! I use the liquid aminos from the health food store (thats my soy sauce, tastes just like it) and its healthier.

I'd love some new jerky recipes!

#8094 February 24th, 2005 at 08:34 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Joined: Apr 2004
Everyone around here lives for Deer camp...so all of the jerky I make is from deer meat and it is wonderful! You can do it in the oven or the dehydrator. We eat quite a bit of deer meat. A lot of people say they don't like it, but if you know how to cook it yu really can't tell a lot of difference. It is a much more lean meat than beef. But, just wanted to add that it makes a wonderful jerky!

#8095 February 25th, 2005 at 09:22 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
E
Member
Member
E
Joined: Feb 2005
I love deer meat, better than beef actaully. I do not have a good jerky receipe, so I have yet to try making that. But I do love venison.
wink
Elfinone

#8096 February 26th, 2005 at 12:38 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
T
Member
Member
T
Joined: Feb 2005
My wife has me spoiled. I grew up as a country boy and stayed that way for 54 years.We have been hunting deer with the same 5 guys for a good number of years, and we harvest enough venison for our families. I don't care much about trophy bucks, even though I have taken a few over the years.What is important to me is how the deer is handled imediately after the harvest. Proper field dressing, get it home, hung, and skinned as quick as possible.
The temperature decides how long it hangs.I quarter the deer in my shop, including sawing the spine. Then I bring the quarters to my wife and she does 90% of the butchering, and does a very professional job of it.The bride decides what cuts she wants and I do the vacuum sealing. Over the year we have developed a great way of doing the ribs instead of trying to strip them.I do a short rib cut, chime the backbone and then chink it.When it come time to use them we marinade them in large zip-lock bags for a day or two. Then I slow cook them in my smoker cooker with fruit wood. For ease of eating I then cut every rib and put them on the table. I am making myself hungry!

#8097 February 26th, 2005 at 02:11 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Member
Member
Joined: Jan 2005
I would kill for some deer meat. We never get game in Los Angeles. Do you guys sell it? Can it be shipped?

I really love game...all the game I've had, that is. I made a killer Venison stew when I visited my sister in Oregon.

If you ever want to sell any, please put me on your list!

#8098 February 26th, 2005 at 04:38 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
E
Member
Member
E
Joined: Feb 2005
My husband goes first season in So Illinois. He is only allowed 2, one of each. thats it. I get it when it comes back from the butcher, he does an excellent job of cuttin it.
He is very picky about his deer, he does all the propers for field dressing and has retained a cooler in case the temps are to warm. Makes double sure he maintains the temps for the ride back home.
thinkin tomorrow to do some vension lasagna. That should be very good.
wink
Elfinone

#8099 February 26th, 2005 at 04:40 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
E
Member
Member
E
Joined: Feb 2005
Winter, I don't know of a place that would ship it, but I am sure there are some. I will look see and should I come up with something I will let you know.
wink
Elfinone

#8100 February 28th, 2005 at 04:38 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
E
Member
Member
E
Joined: Feb 2005
Winter I have fouhnd 2 places that you can order venison from if you like.
www.towline-farm.com
www.maincom.com

Hope it helps.
wink
Elfinone

#8101 February 28th, 2005 at 08:29 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Member
Member
Joined: Jan 2005
Oh Thanks! I'm checking these now!

#8102 March 17th, 2005 at 08:22 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Joined: Mar 2005
Jerky marinade:

In a shallow pan add 6 oz.soy sauce, 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce, 2 Tablespoons sugar, & a drop or two of liquid smoke ( be careful it is really strong) marinade in refrigerator 24 hours.

I have also deleted the liquid smoke and used different flavored marmalades just for something different but I reall like the old fashion flavor I get from the original recipe.

good luck.

#8103 March 19th, 2005 at 02:23 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2005
sorry it took me so long to reply-health issues sometimes get in the way of my real life...
i usually soak mt meats in worchestershire sauce ,and a dry rub you can buy pre-mixed, i add coarse ground pepper to it.
any good marinade makes a good jerky....
i slice my own..fingers get real fearful...
and use a dehydrator with a built in fan/thermostat,set on highest 140 degrees,i believe....done when texture of leather.
hope this helps... wink

#8104 March 24th, 2005 at 01:23 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Member
Member
Joined: Mar 2005
Can anyone tell me how to make the 'soft' jerky?

While on vacation last year we stopped at a party store and purchased a bag of teriyaki 'soft' beef jerky and it was to die for. YUM! wavey

#8105 March 24th, 2005 at 01:26 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Member
Member
Joined: Mar 2005
Winter, will you please post your recipe for that 'killer venison stew'? cool

Thank you,
Sue Z
wavey

#8106 March 26th, 2005 at 07:56 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Joined: Apr 2004
We always have Deer stew around Thanksgiving but we also really love cook it in bar-b-que sauce in the crock pot...just melts in your mouth!


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.055s Queries: 45 (0.050s) Memory: 0.8228 MB (Peak: 0.8610 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-02 18:36:45 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS