This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Member
Member
R
Joined: Aug 2006
[img]http://static.flickr.com/104/250929950_92273c831a.jpg?v=0[/img]

Leaf fans like iris, single stem but multiple branch shoots as stem grew up to about 3.5 feet, apparently multiple flowers, no idea what color. seed pods are approximately 1 inch pods, start out green and turn creamy tan before splitting open to reveal a cluster of shiny round black seeds about 1/8 inch diameter give or take. "Root system" unlike iris but I didn't look at it myself.

If nobody knows what it might have been, what is the protocol for offering these in swap or even just a gimme? Do we not do it until we have grown it, or do we offer them in the spirit of adventure? I know it was something nice or Mom would have had Dad yank it up; she just can't remember what it was! I'm growing some, just don't need 'em all. lol.

Joined: May 2006
Member
Member
Joined: May 2006
I wouldn't mind taking those off your hands LOL! Seriously though, I would like to try growing some if you have enough for yourself. There have bee ninstances where the person who I got seeds from didn't know what she sent me, in cases like this, I just try growing them and cros my fingers, Sorry I don't know but I'm flipping through the seed site hopring I'll be able to find what it is. it does remind me of a an iris seed pod. could it be a dutch iris pod?

Joined: Aug 2005
Member
Member
Joined: Aug 2005
Belamcanda chinensis almost certainly,
commonly called "Blackberry lily", due to the appearance of those seedheads.
It's not a lily at all, but is a member of the Iris family.

It's a great plant, I wouldn't be without some in my garden. wink

Joined: May 2006
Member
Member
Joined: May 2006
sorry it should've read been instances instead of bee ninstances in the second line. ANyways, I am pretty sure that what you have belongs to the iris family

R
Member
Member
R
Joined: Aug 2006
Zippity quick answer!

Zuzu: Après avoir tout lu, je suis d'accord. Merci! Do you need any more? :-)

I had almost compared the seed clusters to blackberries but thought it would be a little confusing. LOL! Now to learn the life cycle and see how long these seeds take before they will flower (if they will - learning more and more plants don't make babies with seeds, how does the industry *do* that??).

Kennyso, of course I will save you some, there are lots.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.054s Queries: 23 (0.051s) Memory: 0.7706 MB (Peak: 0.7903 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-01 00:39:33 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS