This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9536 July 22nd, 2003 at 11:15 AM
Joined: Jul 2003
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D
Joined: Jul 2003
hi everyone i am new here.yall may have to help me get around!! do coneflowers spread ?
also do i have to cut the flowers off when they start to die ? wink

#9537 July 22nd, 2003 at 12:00 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
Hello Dingbat,
You don't live with Archie do you???
Welcome to the garden helpers forum.
Lot's of great gardeners here that'll be more than happy to help you around.

I grow a little patch of purple coneflowers, and I do know a bit, but Floweraddict is very passionate about them, he's only got about 100 of them....So, I'd definately wait for his response but for me,
I'll tell you, depends if you like the seeds from the flowers and to feed the birds in the winter, or gathering some for sharing, I personally don't cut my flowers off. I guess they might reflower a bit if you dead headed them and the flowers would still come. But for me, I pick a few and then let mother nature do the rest. She's reseeded alot and fed the birds too.
I'm not sure on the "spreading" part", but it seems my clumps get bigger and bigger.

So, happy gardening and hope this helps!!!
Weezie smile

#9538 July 22nd, 2003 at 12:03 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2003
Dingbat57,
Hi nice to meet u..Bob the (Floweraddict)is the coneflower grower here.I bet he can give you all the info on those flowers.Thats his specialty...Just hold on he will be here soon..Hes a very busy guy.. :p

#9539 July 25th, 2003 at 10:25 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Joined: Mar 2003
Dingbat
Bob is being modest. He now has 500 coneflowers planted and they are beautiful. He is obviously doing something right.
You said you were from home. What state is home?
Curious Catlover smile

#9540 July 26th, 2003 at 05:59 AM
Joined: Apr 2003
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2003
Bob,
Well with that many coneflowers u must be expert..Your doing something right huh..Well good luck with dead heading all those..Thats got to be a job..
Seen the pictures of Bob coneflowers to love the rose colored..
I have zinnias they are just beautiful.I dead head mine to just drop dead blooms in the flower bed.Hoping next year i have lots more to come up..
Had a guy stop by yesterday saying how beautiful my flowers were..Guess im doing something right.. wink Well take care all..Im going to be gone for awhile..

#9541 July 26th, 2003 at 07:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bob, I loved the pics of your coneflowers....You have so many of them!!! I might try to plant some myself next year...... smile

#9542 July 26th, 2003 at 09:21 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
F
Member
Member
F
Joined: Jan 2003
Thanks for all those compliments! Believe me, it took lots of man hours digging all those holes, setting those plants out, and spreading mulch!

#9543 July 27th, 2003 at 07:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's hard work isn't it???? But it is sooooo worth it........It's nice to be able to stand back and smile after it's all done.... wink


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.049s Queries: 29 (0.045s) Memory: 0.7784 MB (Peak: 0.7981 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-01 01:34:36 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS